Wednesday, February 16, 2005

what to do?

This post is looking for advice:

I am not sure whether to apply for a Senior Resident Assistant position next year or for a Student Hall Coordinator position.

As an SRA I would be doing a very similar job to what I'm doing now. I could try to live in Mellby next year, the building I've loved even more than my house at home. There's a chance I wouldn't make it in, but there's a chance I would. I know I could do a great job.

As an SHC, I couldn't live in Mellby. I would be in a higher leadership position, helping to actually run a hall and I'd get $500 more. I would get place probably into either Larson or Rand (neither of which I could love like Mellby). It would be more of a challenge but it might break my heart not to be where I really love.

What do I do!? More prestige in a strange building? What's comfortable and warm? Comments appreciated.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

prestige or happiness?

happiness.

Chris said...

Mellby is awesome, but maybe you'd get bored doing the same things again and again? Rand would be good for the senior thing, since more seniors live there than in Mellby. But also keep in mind the fact that most of your comrades will be in Ytterboe -- so Mellby is the obviously closer choice for that. And Mellby seems to attract a very certain kind of person -- halls like Larson or Rand might be a little crazier and thus more interesting...? I'm sure you'll make a wise decision, however it goes.

Cate said...

i think SHC would be a good fit--it would give you new challenges, but at the same time allow you to do stuff you're good at like planning programs, doing more in depth hall council stuff, and give you experience in actually running a building...but these are just cate's humble thoughts.

Lauren said...

Well... I'm leaning toward SHC-dom. Not sure if Rand or Larson would be a better fit. Who knows.... There will be a lot of decision-making done this weekend!

Anonymous said...

The wisdom (I hope) of Mom: Safe and comfortable is a good thing sometimes, but college is a time for exploration and stretching oneself. Having considered going for the SHC, I think you will regret it later on if you don't try for it. Happiness and prestige aren't mutually exclusive, after all. You might end up with both. And even if you don't end up loving your residence hall as much as you do now, the challenges and maybe even fun of the job could possibly make up for it.And besides, St. Olaf is raising tuition again, and the extra money isn't a bad thing either! Love you...