Thursday, July 01, 2004

nothing welcomes you back to the office like a krispy kreme!

I've been up around Grand Rapids for the past three days doing lake sampling. You haul up a boat and a bunch of gear and hit lakes for about 11 hours in the day, going out to the deepest points, collecting data and samples. It was a swell time AND I learned how to drive a boat, along with a lot of other practical knowledge. I also put in 35 hours in the last 3 days, which means I only have to stay today until 1:30 and I have tomorrow off! My first weekday off since probably Easter. It feels real good. I think I'll drink spiked lemonade to celebrate [at home]. Today is treat day (always a favorite of mine) and there on the table, were Krispy Kremes. I don't want to think about calories or carbs. I just want to indulge and play the happy "I'll pretend this is good for me" game. Yum -- patriotic srinkles.

But I'll stop fancying colored bits of sugar for a moment. While up north, I couldn't help but realize how peaceful life was. The lakes are everywhere and most of them are of good quality. Driving a boat and seeing miles of blue ripples rush forward would have its appeal to even the blackest of anti-environmentalists. A lot of the towns we stopped in were quite small and conversation in the diners and cafes was fairly constricted. Still, there was a sense of being in no hurry and that's a fair tradeoff in my opinion. I was welcomed home by rush hour, hail, and rows of houses as far as the eye could see. Compared to beautiful oak savannas and naturally grown trees, it was a bit of a shock.

After that wore off, I turned to the upcoming delights of the 4th of July. For the first time in over four years, I won't have to work on the 4th. I'm positively giddy. I think I'll be in Northfield. I know that Jimmy, Meg and Grant will be, too. Is anyone else hanging around campus? I have three hours left of work... not including a lunch break. And, I've nearly finished a major project. The sky is blue. The lakes are clear. I'm a green and it's time to celebrate!

No comments: