I think the best thing about these long, mid-week sampling trips are the added benefit that I either work for a few hours on Fridays or get them off. Today, it's the former, but I have so little to do that the work day is consisting of catching up on emails and blogs. Another added benefit of being in the field is the color you pick up. For instance, I no longer look like a Scandinavian ghost. It's lovely. I have tan cleavage. Mmmmhmmm. I've also had time to catch up on finances. I've spent about $200 on trips that needs to be filed for reimbursement. It's like opening a big Christmas present, even though you bought, wrapped, and placed it under the tree yourself. I'm trying to look on the bright side of things. I also tried to be a good parent to Noah last night, trying to make him feel better after he got his modem taken away. He decided that this meant he could blame on me because of course he should be able to tie up the phone line whenever he pleases. My venture into parenting was short-lived. Pity I was really not that bad. Aitkin County is kinda like Mexico in that being there makes you feel guilty. They aren't very well off up there and a lot of people live in old trailers. I realized how well off people in the burbs are. And how lazy that makes us. Maybe it's better to struggle. You appreciate things more when they don't come easily to you. But then again, I realize things like that because I am wealthy enough to travel and perceive differences. What a catch-22.
Tonight's the last Community Band concert. While I'm excited for certain parts of going back to school, I could leave a lot of others. For instance, taking Remote Sensing/GIS with Welch, the most close minded professor I've yet heard of at St. Olaf. Or perhaps the parking permit that I was supposed to get over two months ago from NiNi Hopkins thus enabling the coffeehouse to operate. Still, there are good things, like living next to Bridget and Jennifer in Mellby, having my very own room, seeing all sorts of people (like Vanna) from school again, feeling redeemed because by God, I had a damn reputable internship over the summer. Band... hmmm... that one's mixed. I feel like a fish out of water. I would love to be someone that people remember is in the room or maybe even acknowledge in the hallways of Christiansen, but until I either become a music major or play an instrument that puts me in the spotlight (HAHA to both of those), I guess I'll be content with the backseat. The actual act of playing is joyful. It's more the bureaucratic pieces that pull it down. A lot of things are like that, actually. Look at state agencies!
Friday, July 23, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment