Wow -- I was looking at an article and was pleasantly suprised by some good environmental news. Paper recycling is at an all-time high in America. 50% of paper produced comes back to be recycled. That's awesome! Just more proof that education and awareness work pretty damn well to change public actions.
In case you can't tell, it's been a slow day at work. I only hit the environmental news sites as a final resort. I was supposed to spend two days looking over a lake report... needless to say I've read the 40 pages allotted and am sitting here dawdling. I haven't had an abundance of tasks to be completed at the PCA thus far, so it's not like I can fall back on some piece of work I was too busy to finish before.
I guess I ought to update everyone, eh? My car is most likely dying. She could be ok, but I don't think the chances are swell. She overheats, but her radiator is fine. That's never an omen of good things to come. It could be her head-gasket, it could be a cracked cylinder, or it could be a repair under the $2000 mark. My uncle, the car aficionado of the family, said cars ought to have their radiator fluid flushed from time to time. It prevents acid from building up and doing nasty things to one's engine. Apparently, my dad should've known to do this. So folks, do yourself a favor and flush that fluid! Even if My Antonia is ok for now, this could be the point at which to pass her on. I'll have a car at school (if NiNi ever bothers to writeup my permit request for the coffeehouse) for the next two years. Should I upgrade now that I've found a couple of sweetass deals? Is that selling out? At what point is it time to trade in your faithful compatriot of many happy years? I don't want to be the one to junk her. Besides, Civics are such notoriously good cars that I could easily get a lot of money to resell her, provided this head-gasket or cracked cylinder business blows over (hopefully not literally). I'm in car limbo. How is it that these vehicles become extensions of our personalities? Amanda would never dream of giving up the Cougar despite its atrocious safety and gas mileage because it's a damn cool car and it completes her music dreams. Grant loves his Blazer; like a good Buddhist, he didn't kill me when I backed into it. And then there's me. My Honda was my partner in crime: she's sleek and always dependable; has good gas mileage; was there for ever tear, peal of laughter, and explosion of loud Moulin Rouge, and I never really considered her mortality. One day or another, she'll kick the bucket. It might be kinder to both of us to pass her before I'd have to witness that day. Either way, there's something about your first car like there is about the first time you really fall in love: you take it with you wherever you go.
Tuesday, July 06, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment