Tuesday, March 02, 2004

So, I've been reading my ecology book faithfully all semester. We're about a third of the way through it already. Not bad. The last chapter (we started 2/3 into it) is about conservation and pressing ecological problems. Now after hundreds of pages of random studies done by scientists who were obviously bored and had money to blow or just weren't feeling creative, we're getting somewhere! This is exactly the stuff that gets me going: cleaning up watersheds, moving species north as the climate changes rapidly, looking at land transformations. Maybe I just get sadistic pleasure out of natural disasters? But more I think that helping out the planet and her species is more noble than studying a random species interaction for the rest of your life. I want to pursue this all, but I'm not sure what to call it or what I can do with it. Is this conservation biology? Is it just environmental science? Who knows, but all I can say is, count me in.

No comments: