Tuesday, August 26, 2003

This'll be a short one, 'cause I gotta pack everything up to leave NY today... It's really quite sad. I love it here. The countryside is so different... leave it to an ecologist to notice the different species of by-the-highway shrubberies. Still, having rolling hills and a very peaked horizon is a nice change. It reminds me of how Jane Austen describes the north of England.

On NY socialisms: If you have a problem with anything, you speak what's on your mind matter-of-factly. There's none of this "I really hate you, but I'll just be nice to your face and vicious behind you back"ness that one often encounters in the nice, ol' Midwest. People are more talkative in random situations, like in a store or at the state fair. And no one is afraid to show a little enthusiasm or digust. Brand-new bathroom? "Ohhh, thayat's soooo CE-UTE!!!" Cat acting out of sorts? "Oh, she'as a li'le BITCH!" (Like the accent spelling?) I think I'll bring home a bit of this refreshing directness... It ought to coordinate with the Italian temper quite well. ;)

Still, it's exciting to think how soon we'll all be back at school. I think I appreciate St. Olaf more for having been away from it. I know Grant will still love it if he camps out on the Hill as nomad for the rest of his life, but for the rest of us, it's good to get away. And, it's also good to find some good friends to make the madness bearable. We should smuggle some food out of the caf and go watch the sunset behind Hill-Kitt sometime soon. I can't wait to see y'all again, esp. Meg. Can't believe you're still coming! So thrilled to have my best sick bitch back on campus. And so, this is me, signing out for now. Wish me a happy (and hopefully restful) trip back. Also, my dad is going into surgery (the only day I'm home between vacation and move-in) -- keep him in your thoughts and prayers! Much love from my rather letter-ish blog!

No comments: