Thursday, August 19, 2004

breaking point

You know what? My family's happiness levels have reached record lows. And I am confident in saying that the issue is not me. This summer has been a point of realization for me. I've gotten to see the parental perspective on numerous occasions from coworkers and just people I watch when I'm out. And, my dad is just out of control. I didn't tell really anyone what happened last week, but there was another little skirmish. My dad lost his temper so utterly... it was not pretty. And it would have been enough for me to call police dispatch and report domestic violence. But I didn't. I don't want people to hear indepth about what goes on at our house or for my dad's teaching to be hurt. After all, the very best of him comes out in the classroom to other, luckier, and to him better children.

And I have just one question: why did he ever have children in the first place? I think that when you have kids, you give up the right to hate them because your own feelings are hurt. Kids do that without realizing it but it's no reason to turn your back on them. They need patience (in spades) and the knowledge that they have your unconditional love. And you have to be open-minded: there is a possibility that you could be wrong, and there will undoubtedly be times in which you show them how to apologize like an adult. Without these essential things, I don't see how a person could possibly expect to make a positive difference in their child's life.

And so, I am done with living as if everything is happy at home. Our extended family and friends have an inkling as to how things really are and I'm about to get them all involved. I'll do anything if it has a chance of improving things long-term. I still care enough about my dad to want to see him happy. And I definitely want things to be better for my mother, brother, and myself. No one should voluntarily live like this.

Dreams:
Going back to school will be like waking up after a troubling sleep to realize everything's ok
My dad will voluntarily go to some sort of counseling
Being an RA and a manager will ROCK
I'll get everything done and packed with time to go get ice cream before move-in
My studies in bio/ES will be validated by this internship
Lighten/cheer up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:( tell your daddy therapy is fun. i can testify to that, as i'm sure you can. megan likes it so much, she misses it this summer. and you are to make no improper comments as to why that is, because that's not why. well, not the majority of the reason, anyway. :)
-megan